The Daily Show pounds Atlanta with fresh snark storm - Daily Agenda - Atlanta Magazine

The Daily Show pounds Atlanta with fresh snark storm

Jon Stewart on Atlanta's "ice age doomsday zombie apocalypse"

Just like Georgia governor Nathan Deal’s response to Tuesday’s wintry mix, Atlantans were completely blindsided Thursday night when Comedy Central’s The Daily Show with John Stewart devoted six minutes of airtime to mocking us mercilessly. Describing our traffic snarling weather event as an “ice age doomsday zombie apocalypse,” Stewart pondered: “I can’t even imagine how much snow it would take to bring on the zombie apocalypse. Three feet? Ten feet?” Cut to a clip of a Fox News anchor: “Two inches of snow hit the area.” “Really?” asked Stewart. “Two inches of snow? Is that what happens when the south is confronted by something not specifically mentioned in Revelations?”

Stewart then proceeded to riff on our allergy to HOV lanes. “It’s OK for two people to share a car, right?” As a still of Jessica Tandy and Morgan Freeman from Driving Miss Daisy flashed on the screen behind him, Stewart added: “I know this was the last time anyone in Atlanta car pooled, but still. This is an emergency!”

Cut to a clip of Deal at a press conference: “We have been confronted with an unexpected storm, There is no one in this room who could have predicted the degree or the magnitude of the problem that developed.” The sound bite was then trailed by a series of Weather Channel, CNN and WSB-TV Action News meteorologist Karen Minton clips, all correctly forecasting the snow on Jan 27. Pointing out that Atlanta also serves as The Weather Channel’s headquarters, Stewart added: “Not only were they warned, the call was coming from inside the house! The Weather Channel is located in Atlanta. Also located in Atlanta? The Society for the Prevention of Highway Stuckage and the National Department of Seeing S#*t Coming.”

Flashing Deal’s tweeted photo of him, Atlanta mayor Kasim Reed, and a Steve Penley painting of hizzonor at Tuesday’s Georgia Trend luncheon honoring Reed as Georgian of the Year at the Ritz Carlton downtown as the snow began falling, Stewart asked: “Georgian of the Year? Who did he beat out for Georgian of the Year? Paula Deen and the guy who raped Ned Beatty in Deliverance?”

Not even WSB-TV Action News anchors Justin Farmer and Jovita Moore or the 25 Action News reporters all providing simultaneous live coverage escaped ridicule. Said Stewart: “Look, a 25 news box pile up!” On his Facebook page, Farmer was taking it in stride early Friday, even posting a photo of the bit with the caption: “The Daily Show honored our 25 reporter box tonight.”

Daily Show fans on the program’s Facebook page, meanwhile, posted more than 100 snark-filled comments under the headline: “Tonight: Snow turns Atlanta into scene from Walking Dead (JK – no such thing as walking in Atlanta).” The lone voice of dissent in the feed? Cumming resident Tracy Lee White who wrote: “Jon, shame on you! Don’t perpetuate the myth that it was the snow.” Sharing a link to Atlanta magazine deputy editor and Atlanta historian Rebecca Burns’ Politico piece, “The Day We Lost Atlanta,” she added: "Read this article. It is the truest account of what happened and why.” Advised viewer Kim Martino to White and perhaps all Georgians: “Tracy, The show makes fun of the news and events. That’s its purpose. Don’t take it too seriously now. LOL.”

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
Comment Like
  • 26
  1. Jill Ann posted on 01/31/2014 02:12 PM
    I am a New Yorker - born on the island of Manhattan - I lived and worked there for many years. I recently relocated to Atlanta (and it is awesome). Atlanta is a major city with people living here from all over the world and from all over the United States. The people of Atlanta should not be reduced to morons because of a culmination of preventable events. We are talking about METRO Atlanta and not the entire state of Georgia. Not to mention, even if we are addressing GA as a whole - people should not be reduced to stereotypes. There are various government officials responsible (not 2) for poor planning that put many human beings in dangerous situations. The City of Atlanta and the Atlanta Metro area are not the exact same thing. It is the difference between the island of Manhattan a.k.a NYC and the NYC Metro area which includes Queens and Brooklyn too. People travel into the City of Atlanta just as they do to Manhattan for work - however people in the Atlanta Metro area and surrounding suburbs don't have access to a metro system anywhere close to that of the NYC Subway/MTA. This article explains some about ATL's limited mass transit system MARTA http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/01/atlanta-snow-storm-102839.html#.UuvxYBDkirq. To believe that one of U.S.'s most significant major cities is full of buffoons is ignorant. We should not marginalize the people who make one of the Nation's top cities great. If massive transportation issues ensue we should be focusing our attention on the real problems that got us into that position and correct them - rather than use uninformed critique as a way to dumb down "Southerners."
    1. A posted on 01/31/2014 09:40 PM
      @Jill Ann Thanks,

You explained it best, unlike some people who just think its funny to look at people in a crisis. Excuse me for my typos.
    2. Jason posted on 01/31/2014 09:43 PM
      @Jill Ann I tried to excuse the rampant stupidity and backwardness of Atlanta as some sort of elusive "culture gap" for years after I moved here. I've finally accepted the glaring fact that all of the ugly stereotypes I heard about the deep south before I moved here are absolutely, indisputably true. I wish they were not, but they definitely are.
  2. Ashanty posted on 01/31/2014 08:18 PM
    Hilarious! The JS clip and the stupid Atlantan sensitivities. It speaks volumes as to how insecure they are.
    1. A posted on 01/31/2014 09:36 PM
      @Ashanty Would you find it amusing if people joked about the Boston Marathon to be funny. I don't but you laugh at people who could have possibly died without help.. oops I forgot, it shouldn't surprise me.During Hurricane Sandy folks lost their lives and in one case, a woman 's two sons died and when she needed help the people slammed the door in her face. I guess that's funny to eh?

It sad and rather despicable how you and other people laugh about this situation about people being. Is this how you would do people when they're down? Heartless as you are I can't put it past you do it.
      Things has a way of biting you in the butt.I pray to god that you and wherever you're from never will go through a major crisis because it may be the state of Georgia that may end up being your testimony. No hun,its not insecurity, its being considerate and respectful of other. You cant be much of a human being to say what you're ssying
  3. A posted on 01/31/2014 09:47 PM
    Gee..I loved Jon Stewart at one point but after his unkind gesture, I have lost all my respect for him.I find nothing funny when there are little kids not knowing where there parents are, people not getting any food or water and just trying shelter.That is a terrible situation to be in and I didn't know he had it in him to be that cruel. I bet that if it was his kids he wouldn't be laughing. I will no longer will be following his show.
    1. CP posted on 01/31/2014 11:43 PM
      @A Honestly the entire city knew the snow was coming, the entire city knew what happened last time we got some snow. So if Atlantans aren't stupid and backwards tell me, why were they all not at home when it started snowing. I personally was at Emory in class when it started snowing. After class let out it had been snowing for about thirty minutes. I knew I needed to get home as soon as possible before I got stuck somewhere, so I did. At this time, less than half an inch of snow had fallen and there were already 12 reported accidents on the freeways, which hadn't even really begun to ice at that point.

There comes a point at which one needs to swallow their pride and realize what they might have thought was great really isn't so much after all. Honestly if Atlanta and the south were not backwards and stupid we wouldn't receive so much "hate" from everywhere else. At that point it's just denial. The first step to getting better is admitting you have a problem, and the south most certainly does have problem.

Or no, I'm sure just the entire western thinking world has it wrong. Yes the south is actually the only place doing it right...COME ON
  4. Richard L. Eldredge posted on 02/01/2014 07:59 AM
    Could we please avoid comparing this week's ice/snow unpleasantness with Hurricane Katrina, Sandy or the Boston Marathon bombing? No lives were reported lost here (in fact, we added to the population count!) and we don't have to rebuild our region from scratch today. There is no comparison and it makes us all sound like whiny drama queens.
  5. Mike posted on 02/01/2014 12:09 PM
    You I lived in ga all my life and love it here and yes I am a country boy and John Stewart is a moron that needs to shut the hell up and quit making money by making fun of people.maybe I should make money by making fun of him on how stupid his whole face look I mean come on looks like some crapped a pile of white ice cream on his head not to mention the bags he has under his eyes makes him look like an episode of rocky balboa what a fuckin idiot.
  6. Marie posted on 02/01/2014 01:13 PM
    It was only 2 inches of snow, true. The real problem was that government employees were dismissed at 12:30 PM. Other businesses soon followed suit. Then the schools began dismissing students early, about 1:30 PM. Sadly the roadways became clogged with an incredible amount of traffic, as traffic has always been a problem in Atlanta, so it only exacerbated the problem. Snow/Ice + extreme traffic = disaster.
  7. Noel posted on 02/01/2014 07:25 PM
    You are an idiot. The snow melted first then a nice sheet of ice was created
    1. krystilized posted on 02/07/2014 01:44 PM
      @Noel Noel, where are you from? On that day, temps were well below freezing. So the snow NEVER melted, it just turned into ice. Tons of traffic, hilly roads, and sheets of ice. I would love to see all you smart azz dumb azzes drive on that.
  8. gimmeabreak posted on 02/01/2014 11:42 PM
    to all you selfrightous aholes, google " ice snow pile up in (insert Boston, Chicago, New York, Wisconsin, Montreal, Indianapolis, Spokane, etc) and see how stupid you look now. Nobody drives on ice and that is what we had. Please explain how, in your northern genius, you have all those snowplows and salt trucks yet you still have accidents that kill "snow driving experts".
    1. Stu Dunn posted on 02/03/2014 08:45 AM
      @gimmeabreak I have live in Atlanta all my life man and even I have to admit that we really look like morons because of this. Suck it up and move on. Fair game Jon Stewart...

And to the person who compared this to the Boston Marathons shame on you.
showing all comments

Big Stories

The Atlanta Braves Relocation
Track the latest developments in the team's move from Turner Field to Cobb County.

The Walking Dead
All things TWD—including our haiku recaps. (Warning: 17-syllable spoilers.)