What’s your favorite steakhouse in Atlanta? - Covered Dish Blog - Atlanta Magazine

What’s your favorite steakhouse in Atlanta?

The renaissance of Southern cooking, the rise of the chef-owner restaurants, the global culinary riches at the city’s periphery and in the suburbs: These all get plenty of play in Atlanta, but when it comes down to it, this town really loves steakhouses.

That’s the thought that comes to mind, anyway, as I’ve been barreling through our many chophouses for an upcoming cover package. But as I sit here pondering martinis with blue cheese-stuffed olives, wet-aged versus dried-aged steaks, the pros and cons of the twice baked potato, and the mysterious reasoning behind serving leaden desserts after all that beef, I’m curious for some input: What do you consider the best steakhouse in Atlanta. Are you a Bone’s/Chops traditionalist? More of a Kevin Rathbun Steak modernist? Better yet, tell me exactly what you like to eat at these places.

I’ll share one surprise I’ve found thus far: Hal’s on Old Ivy. It’s a chummy scene in there, almost as much bar as restaurant, but the food exceeded my expectations, including the best crab cake I’ve had in Atlanta in recent memory—and as a Maryland native, that’s saying something.

(The pic, by the way, is of the rock salt-and-herb roasted rib eye at Cabernet in Alpharetta. Pretty darn good…)

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
Comment Like
  • 10
  1. PTG posted on 06/28/2012 11:03 AM
    I'm a Bone's diehard...grit fritters!
  2. VirginiaF_9025 posted on 06/28/2012 11:21 AM
    I'm a Ruth's Chris fan through and through...crabtini...tes
  3. ElizabethFlorio posted on 06/28/2012 11:40 AM
    "Football and crab cakes... that's what Maryland does!" In all seriousness... I'm a big KRS fan, especially of the porterhouse for 2, but Bone's served me the best, most perfect filet I've ever eaten, and the $10 corkage fee is great. Also, my fam has always loved Houston's.
  4. Spend all my $$ on food! posted on 06/28/2012 11:48 AM
    BONE"S RULES!!! Chops, Hal's, Rathbuns.......none hold a candle.......
  5. Jackson Reeves posted on 06/28/2012 11:51 AM
    This is bad of me, but I've never actually been to Bone's or Chops. And the only time I ever went to KRS, I didn't get a steak. I blame my father, who always thought that he could make a steak better than any we could possibly find at a restaurant, making steakhouses a big no-no growing up. I may need to finally change that perspective, though, because I think I hear that rock salt-and-herb roasted rib eye calling my name.
  6. Glenn posted on 06/28/2012 12:50 PM
    In my book, Bone's and Kevin Rathbun are number one and two respectively. I consider the food quality equal, and give Bone's the edge based on service, which is always top-notch. An excellent up-and-comer is Little Alley Steak in Roswell. I have always thought the best purveyor of meat was Allen Brother's, who supply KR and used to supply Bone's (they won't tell who they use these days, but I think it's still Allen Brother's). But Meats by Linz is certainly providing Little Alley Steak with extremely high quality dry aged rib eyes. I can still taste last Wednesday's steak - delish!
  7. Lee Schilling posted on 06/28/2012 12:53 PM
    BONES FOR SURRRRE !!
  8. Steve posted on 06/28/2012 01:54 PM
    My list would be 1. BLT, 2. Kevin Rathbun Steak, 3. Hal's, 4. Chops

I've tried pretty much every big name steakhouse in the city (excluding McKendricks) - I eat out a lot. While service and atmosphere is nice, for me, quality and consistency of the food always comes first. I usually stick with the ribeye (mid rare+), and bone-in is always preferred.

IMO, BLT cooks the best steak in Atlanta. The quality and marbling of their meat is exceptional, temperature is always spot on, and seasoning is perfect. Their bone-in ribeye is my favorite. Their prices are a bit higher than most, but I think its worth it. Sides here are ok, but nothing special. KRS also cooks a damn good steak. I think their sides are my favorite of all the steakhouses. The rest of their menu is also great if you are with someone who is not in the mood for steak. Hal's used to not be in my top 3, but my last few visits have turned me into a believer. Steaks were very good, temperature was spot on. I think the quality of the steaks is just a little bit better at the other two places. Sides here are alright - none were overly impressive. Hal's does have a great atmosphere...bar scene is very entertaining to watch. Chops is a close 4th behind Hal's. Steaks here are solid and sides are fine.

I'm sure I'll catch some slack for talking bad about Bones, but I think this is one of the most overrated steakhouses in town. I will say that its is by far the most "Atlanta" of all the steakhouses. It does have a great atmosphere and old school feel, but the steaks here are terribly inconsistent (temperature has been off on several occasions and steaks are generally under-seasoned) and the sides are bland.
  9. MichaelErickson posted on 06/28/2012 02:57 PM
    Little Alley Steak in Roswell. Amazing!
  10. Molly posted on 06/30/2012 10:48 PM