Barbecue outtake: Staq’s “Mess”

Our big ol’ Barbecue Issue will be out in a couple weeks, but here’s a preview of the quirkiest dish I found on my hunt (mentioned in the issue but not pictured). It’s served at Staqs BBQ in Smyrna, a woman-run joint in humble digs on a rather lonely stretch of South Cobb Drive, not too far from Windy Hill Road. The staffers are sweet and doting, and as I scanned their menu, I saw a dish simply called “A Mess: Waffle, Pulled Pork, Slaw.”

Staq's mess
You can see from the pic what arrived. I smelled the waffle cooking fresh (next time, I’d ask them for it extra-crisp), and then they piled it hot with the pulled pork and slaw (notice the two kinds of raisins in there) and drizzled it with syrup. And though, especially with that syrup, this could have been a cacophonous disaster, I actually really enjoyed the crazy quilt of flavors. On the heels of chicken and waffles’ wave of popularity, this combo has soul food brunch upstart written all over it.

Comments

1. Elizabeth F.

June 14, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Get in my belly!

2. Jazz

June 28, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I tride the Mess it was really good.
    I will have it again.

3. Food Lover

June 28, 2010 at 9:31 pm

This place is Atlanta’s Big Secret. I am mad you discovered them because I want them to be exclusive. Now everyone in Atlanta will know. I am only happy about there success, but hate you all know….

4. James Walker

July 8, 2010 at 5:29 pm

I was suprise to hear this place was in Smyrna. I had to fine them. I tried the Mess, damn who would believe it was more than good.

5. Mrs.Ruby Hodges-Stewart

July 14, 2010 at 5:17 am

I WAS THERE ON THE GRAND OPENING IN APRIL, DOWN THERE FROM SAVANNAH ON EASTER BREAK AND THE ‘MESS’ WAS GREAT WITH A TASTE VEGGIE & SWEET.

6. Sharon Griffin

August 23, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I work right next door to Staq’s. All of their food is simply “DELICIOUS”!! My co-workers and I are there, at least three days out of the work week. Their smoked wings are the bomb and the ribs are good too!! The mac and cheese is ok, (for it not to be home made) and the staff is super friendly and always greets you with a smile. I haven’t tried the “Mess” yet, but maybe one Friday before going home I may stop in and get it to go…

7. Big Chris

November 22, 2010 at 9:22 pm

I’ve been there twice. The ribs and the pulled pork are good. I’m not a potato salad eater (only like grammas), but there’s is really really good. The staff is friendly. The first time i was there, there was a long wait for ribs so i got the pulled pork which was excellent. I recommend to err body!