Login / Register
ORNo Account? Register here.
Bacon Almond Brittle
At the 2012 Peach Jam cobbler contest held at Grant Park Farmers Market, Cabbagetown resident Lisa Hanson served this adaption from I Love Bacon! (Jane Rockwell, Andrews McMeel Publishing) with her winning peach cobbler.
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, cubed
1/4 pound bacon, cut into bite-size pieces and cooked until crispy
2 cups smoked almonds, chopped
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Line a baking sheet with greased parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water for 4 minutes or until the mixture is syrupy.
3. Slowly whisk in the cubed butter until the mixture emulsifies and turns golden brown, about 4 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and stir in the bacon, almonds, baking powder and salt.
5. Quickly pour the brittle onto the prepared baking sheet and spread. When cool, break into pieces. Brittle can be stored in an air-tight container for 1 week.