Login / Register
ORNo Account? Register here.
Fall style picks according to Jeffrey Kalinsky
A rundown from last night’s Fashion Cares event
The crowds turned out last night at the 22nd annual Jeffrey Fashion Cares, women in red-soled Louboutins and midi skirts, men in bright, summery blazers and monk-straps on sockless feet. The philanthropic event and runway show, held this year at the American Cancer Society Center downtown, is Atlanta’s biggest longstanding fashion shindig of the year, founded by our preeminent boutiquer, Jeffrey Kalinsky. As in past years, the event benefited Susan G. Komen for the Cure and Atlanta AIDS Fund, and it raised $16,000 from one auction item alone—two tickets to the Elton John AIDS Foundation Oscars viewing party in L.A. (Read Rich Eldredge’s interview with event co-chair Lila Hertz here.)
Atlanta magazine contributor Feifei Sun and I sat alongside one of our favorite local public figures, Rozonda Thomas (aka Chilli of TLC), who wore a black silk jumpsuit and a topknot and hasn’t aged since 1994’s CrazySexyCool. As fall looks from top-tier designers like Dries van Noten, Saint Laurent, and Lanvin floated down the runway, we played “buy or not buy”: yes to the finale gown, a light pink silk duchesse skirt with a burgundy velvet bodice by Oscar de la Renta, divided on an olive green Christian Dior puffer coat and skirt (which we actually included in the fashion feature in next month’s issue of the magazine).
No question though, that Jeffrey brings the goods—setting trends in the South and introducing Atlantans to brands they wouldn’t otherwise get. Here’s his scoop on five hot things at his store this fall:
1. Sneakers. They were everywhere for fall ’14, and Chanel’s were some of the best and most exciting. Also, Saint Laurent.
2. Céline biker jacket. Leather motorcycle jackets are always on trend. (In store only; here’s our pick from Rick Owens.)
3. Céline Phantom bag. In python. Enough said. (In store only; here’s our pick from Proenza Schouler.)
4. Christian Dior dresses. Dior dresses are super sophisticated and always look right. (In store only; here’s our pick from Erdem.)
5. Saint Laurent knitwear. Saint Laurent sweaters are exceptionally great this season because they are mostly cropped and fitted.