Eager to escape Atlanta this holiday weekend? Here are some travel-worthy events happening around the state:
Memorial Day Commemoration, Fort McAllister State Park, Saturday, May 24th, 9am-4pm
- Enjoy a day of canon and musket firings, Civil War demonstrations and other patriotic events such as wool-spinning demonstrations and homemade spindle making.
Armed Forces Festival, Rousakis Riverfront Plaza, Sunday, May 25th, all day
- Browse a wide selection of arts and crafts and enjoy live entertainment along Savannah’s historic River Street. All proceeds from this event benefit the Georgia National Guard Family Support Foundation.
VVA Memorial Day Ceremony, Emmet Park, Sunday, May 25th, 7pm
- Honor the men and women who have defended and served our country by attending Savannah’s Vietnam Veterans of America ceremony in Emmet Park. A distinguished guest speaker will begin the program, followed by a reading of the names of every fallen Vietnam soldier from Savannah .
Bavarian Fest, Helen Festhalle, Saturday, May 24th, 6-11pm
- Sample a taste of Bavaria at this weekend gala featuring live music, dancing, and a thick Bavarian atmosphere. Import and domestic beers and wines, hot dogs, pretzels, and other snacks will be available. Active military and veterans receive free admission; general admission for all other adults is $7.
Pine Mountain/Callaway Gardens:
Master Water Skiing and Wakeboarding Tournament, May 23rd-25th
- Callaway’s 56th annual water sports tournament features a lineup of competitive athletes hopeful to tear up Robin Lake. Join the fun by watching the show and enjoying other beach activities, plus live music and food.
Fireworks Show, Saturday, May 23rd, 10pm
- No Memorial Day weekend is complete without a good fireworks show. Behold Callaway’s booming display above Robin Lake after the tournament Saturday evening.
An Illustrated People’s History of Athens, ATHICA, Friday, May 23rd, 6-8pm
- Love all things Athens? Don’t miss this exhibit at the Athens Institute for Contemporary Art, which showcases the Athens community throughout the years through a combination of visual artists and storytellers.
Running with the Dawgs 5k, The Classic Center, Monday, May 25th, 8am
- Kick off your Memorial Day right with this fun 5K through downtown Athens. Registration begins at 7am. Register here.