Since opening in 2004 in Alpharetta, Marlow’s Tavern has added several Atlanta and Orlando-area outposts. John C. Metz, executive chef and co-founder, has designed a menu that offers a diverse combination of classic dishes that are updated yet recognizable. In 2013 Metz was honored as the Gold Plate Award winner by the International Foodservice Manufactures Association (IFMA).
Brewed with toasted caramel malt and finished with beechwood, Budweiser Black Crown is an ideal pairing for Metz’s Rustic Grilled Cheese.
Ingredients (enough for 2 sandwiches)
For Mornay sauce:
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp flour
2 cups half & half
Pinch ground nutmeg
Pinch ground white pepper
1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 bay leaf
For Chili Slather:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt and pepper
1 Tbsp chopped parsley
For the sandwich:
4 slices Havarti cheese
4 slices Swiss cheese
4 slices bacon, cooked
Make the Mornay sauce:
1. Melt butter in small saucepan. Add onions and cook until translucent, 4-5 minutes.
2. Add flour and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add half & half and bring to simmer while stirring to prevent bottom from scorching.
4. Once the mixture comes to simmer and begins to thicken, add your spices and bay leaf, and cook for additional 4-5 minutes.
5. Add the Swiss cheese and cook for an additional 3 minutes, stirring frequently so sauce doesn’t scorch.
6. Remove from heat. If not using right away, store in refrigerator until ready to use.
Make the Chili Slather:
1. In mixing bowl, add all ingredients.
2. Whisk until well combined.
Build the sandwich:
1. On a cutting board, lay two slices of bread side by side. Spread a scoop of chili slather evenly across each slice.
2. Flip slices over. Spread one scoop of Mornay sauce across one slice. Layer 2 slices of Havarti cheese over the Mornay sauce, followed by 2 slices of bacon, followed by 2 slices of Swiss cheese. Close sandwich by placing remaining slice over cheese, slather-side up.
3. Toast sandwich on nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, approximately 4 minutes. Carefully flip. Cook another 3-5 minutes until bread is golden-brown and cheese is melted.
4. Transfer to cutting board. With a chef’s knife, cut the sandwich in half and stack.
To find your neighborhood location, visit marlowstavern.com.