At home, chef Eddie Hernandez of Taqueria del Sol wraps up beets, Vidalia onions, limes, and a little fresh mint in aluminum foil and roasts them in a fire. They come out sweet and tangy. “I love Vidalias! They’re like candy to me,” he laughs.
(Click here for the full story.)
2 lbs peeled beets, stems removed
1/2 stick of butter
1 tablespoon salt
4 tablespoons sugar
Lime wedges and salt for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Mix salt and sugar.
3. Place beets on a sheet of aluminum foil.
4. Spread butter on top, sprinkle with salt and sugar mixture.
5. Wrap and bake for 45 minutes.
6. Remove from oven, slice and serve with lime wedges and salt.