Can’t get away on a yoga retreat? Rebecca Galla-Jones and Jackie Dominas, instructors at Balance Yoga in Atlanta, say you don’t have to leave town to leave your stress behind. Here are some ideas for finding calm and flexibility without ever packing a suitcase.
- Begin each day with a positive affirmation in order to stay focused and calm.
- Start a gratitude journal or list. Take note of all the amazing things that happen in your everyday life.
- Take the time to move your body. Motion is a great way to feel more at ease and minimize discomfort in your body and mind.
- Fuel your body by eating clean, whole foods. The food you eat creates your cells, and a nutrient-rich diet can help you feel your best physically and mentally.
- Light a candle while making dinner or reading to add some romance to your day.
- Unplug by 8 p.m. Turn off the computer, put the iPhone on airplane mode, and even shut off the TV. You can use the extra time to read, play with the kids, or go to bed early.
- Aim to feel good and help others feel good every day. One of Rebecca’s favorite quotes is from Maya Angelou: “People often don’t remember what you said or what you did, but they remember how you made them feel.”