Pritikin was kind enough to share these simple, healthy recipes from its boot camp program with us—just in time for bikini season!
Mustard Coated Salmon
2 tablespoons no-salt-added stone ground mustard
1 tablespoons no-salt-added Dijon-style mustard
1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon shallot or onion, chopped
2 tablespoons white wine
1 pound wild salmon
2 tablespoons dill, chopped
- Combine mustards, garlic, shallots, and wine in a bowl. Create mixture to coat salmon.
- In a medium hot skillet, place salmon face side down for seven minutes.
- Flip salmon; pour remaining mixture on top and cover, cooking over medium heat until done to your liking. Sprinkle with fresh dill and serve.
Penne Pasta in Fresh Herb Sauce
1 zucchini, cut into half-moon slices
1 red bell pepper, peeled and deseeded
1 yellow bell pepper, peeled and deseeded
12 shallots, roasted
½ cup onion, pureed in food processor
½ cup roasted garlic, pureed
4 pounds uncooked whole-wheat penne pasta
2 medium eggplants, roasted whole, pulp scooped out
¼ bunch basil, leaves picked, chopped
¼ bunch thyme, leaves picked, chopped
¼ bunch Italian parsley, leaves picked, chopped
¼ bunch tarragon, leaves picked, chopped
¼ bunch rosemary, leaves picked, chopped
½ teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon black peppercorns, ground
1 cup white wine
1 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
- To roast shallots and garlic cloves, back at 350°F oven in baking pan for about 20 minutes, tossing occasionally, until the shallots and garlic are soft to the touch.
- To roast eggplants, broil until skins are black all over.
- In a large hot skillet, saute zucchini, peppers, shallots, onions, and roasted garlic.
- While sauteing vegetables, cook pasta al dente (firm, not soft).
- When both pasta and vegetables are cooked, combine and add remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Serve immediately.
6 eggplants, peeled and sliced
8 sheets whole wheat lasagna
4 cups no-salt-added marina sauce
2 zucchini, sliced lengthwise
2 cups Frozen spinach, drained
½ cup onion, diced
2 teaspoon granulated garlic
2 teaspoon dry oregano
¼ cup garlic, chopped
1 pound Fat-free ricotta cheese
2 ounces Fat-free mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F oven.
- Soak eggplant in cold eater for 10 minutes, drain.
- Cook lasagna sheets in boiling water until al dente.
- Layer bottom of lasagna pan with ½ cup marinara sauce.
- Lauer lasagna sheets, vegetables, marinara sauce (reserve ½ cup for the top layer), herbs, and ricotta cheese until all ingredients are used and pan is full.
- Cover with ½ cup of marinara sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Cover and back for 40 minutes. Uncover and back until cheese is brown.
1½ pound fat free cream cheese
12 ounces firm silken tofu
1 cup fat free skim milk
½ cup egg white
¼ cup Splenda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup z-trim (optional)
2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon lemon zest
Fresh berries, if desired
1 cup multi-grain or corn flakes (crushed)
1 ounce water
- Puree tofu until smooth in a food processor.
- In a mixer, mix cream cheese until creamy. Add tofu, z-trim, milk, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest, and Splenda. Mix for 3 minutes.
- Add egg whites and mix for 2 more minutes.
- Fold in berries, if desired.
- Combine crushed flakes with water until moist.
- Lightly spray cake tin with canola oil spray.
- Spread flake mixture on the bottom and side of cake tin evenly.
- Pour cake mixture in pan and bake in water bath at 275°F for 45 minutes.
- Serve with fresh berries.
House Salad Dressing
¾ cup fat free yogurt
½ cup fat free sour cream, no salt added
½ cup skim milk
¾ cup unsweetened ketchup
½ teaspoon dry oregano
½ teaspoon granulated garlic